Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fun with Fabric

The Moxie Fab World challenge is to use fabric in a project.  I jumped at this idea, because being a quilter, I have lots of fabric!  I started looking through my collection and stopped when I found this fabric by Susan Branch.  It is a border print, with this line of hydrangeas.  I love the colors, my pastels.  Then it occurred to me that I could somehow incoporate the Hero Arts Hydrangea stamp into my project.


I cut out enough of the panel so that I could use at least some of the words Susan has along the flowers: "Won't you come into our garden?  We would like our flowers to see you.". 
                            

Then I stamped and colored my hydrangea, and covered the flower with little fabric flower petals from a stem I found around the house, centering each one with a pale green pearl.  The flower was popped above the surface, and I added a gingham bow.


 I considered using my own stamped sentiment, but I like Susan's so much, that I decided to let it alone and just added a digital HeroArts butterfly, making it 3D also. 
This turned out to be way too large for a card, but I plan to prop it in my craft area, maybe even frame it. 

Supplies: Susan Branch border fabric, framed with Bazzill dotted cardstock and ivory cardstock, Hero Arts stamp K5376 Hydrangea, colored pencils, green pearls, blue gingham ribbon, Hero Arts digikit Flutterbies, blue cardstock, wire for antennae

One last note to this long post: if you are unfamiliar with Susan Branch and love gardens, quotes, beautiful art (she hand-draws all of her art), explore her website above.  It is like a little vacation!  Beautiful and uplifting.

18 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Lin! This is breathtaking! Your cards always amaze me- you have the most beautiful style!

Barb said...

Lin, I don't even know what to say! No, that's not true...I just don't know where to start!! I want, so bad, to sit next to you, in silence, and just watch you create! It must be an amazing journey each time you start a card! This is one of those cards I could just stare at for a long time!! My goodness, it's gorgeous! I'm glad you decided not to add a sentiment. I love the words that came on the fabric! Thank you for the link too! That is my kind of website!! :)

Tiffany Ervin said...

Oh wow! If you had not told us it was fabric, I would have thought that was all stamped!! Amazing look! And love the extended flowers on top of your hydrangea!

Kathy (krolski) said...

This card is a masterpiece Lin! So beautiful. I love how you added the flowers with the pearls. So pretty!

Debbie said...

This is so beautiful! A beautiful combination!

Kath Stewart said...

wow lin what a stunning creation...and imagine looking at this each and every day in your craft room....big hugs kath xxx

stampingandstitching said...

Wow Lin this looks absolutely amazing! The background fabric is gorgeous and I love how you have incorporated the HA hydrangea - brilliant! You should definitely frame this!!

Heather Maria

Dawn T said...

Stunning... my jaw has dropped to the ground looking at this. It is priceless.... you really do need to frame it.... just amazing.

Stamping Cafe said...

Oh my word... this is totally stunning, Lin! You are just brilliant, love everything about it!!

donna mikasa said...

I love this, Lin! Perfect combination of fabric and stamps and the flowers give it great dimension! A winner!

Sarah J Moerman said...

Wow! This is gorgeous, Lin!

Arlene said...

Wondeful warm vintage feel to this - such wonderful soft colors.

CinnamonSally said...

Stunning Lin a complete work of art, love this.!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful! Love the layering of fabric and flowers mixed with stamping.

Alice said...

wow! gorgeous card, Lin!! LOVE how you used that piece of beautiful fabric! love it!

Mei Ann Guerrero said...

What a pretty and dainty card Lin! Love this!

ivy said...

this is beautiful lin! i've seen her greeting cards and love her stuff!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Lin! Thanks for entering the Fun with Fabric challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you were inspired enough to play along! :)