Sunday, June 13, 2010

In Stitches



At Jenny's blog this week, she has challenged us to make something using stitching, either for real or faux.  That reminded me of a tutorial  to make a quilt card that my friend Carol pointed me towards.  Here is my entry for Jenny's challenge. I really like the way it turned out, especially how the embossing makes it look like a quilt!  I used a variety of brightly colored designer papers, using aqua, bright pink, green and yellow, incorporating dots, ginghams, stripes, and some little prints.  I followed the tutorial, but before cutting out the shape with my nestie labels eight die, I took it to my sewing machine and zig-zagged all along the seams between the pieces.  I embellished my card with paper-pieced sewing tools, from my new Hero Arts set Sew Original.  The sentiment is from another little HA SparkleClear set that Virginia sent me last year.

Supplies: HA stamps CL397 SparkleClear Sew Original, CL188 Tea, Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels Eight, Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder,  various designer papers, white cardstock 

18 comments:

Lucy Abrams said...

Lin this is so SWEET - I love the colours, and the embossed squares really do make it look like fabric. Fantastic, colourful card.
Hope you are well.
xx

donna mikasa said...

So very sweet and might I say "cozy"? Love this and the embossing is genius! Great entry for Jenny's challenge...looks like a winner to me!

CinnamonSally said...

Wow Lin I love your quilted card, such fun and a great entry for the challenge!

Anne said...

Lin I love your quilted card- the colors are so pretty and summery- love the added pincushion and thread! I saw that tutorial for the quilted card but have not had time to try it yet- but I think I just might have to do it now!

Anonymous said...

Superb card Lin...the quilting effect is great.
Isha

stampingandstitching said...

Gorgeous quilt card Lin! I love the texture with the embossing and the mix of colours and patterns. Love it!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Lin...this card is just super...I really thought that was fabric and was wondering what you did with the outside edge!!! VERY good choices in your designer papers!! The stitching, the embossing, the pincushion and thread....you are a wizard!!!

Kath Stewart said...

this is gorgeous lin....and it really does look like a quilt...big hugs kath xxx

Tiffany Ervin said...

Delightful, amazing how you put this together with so many different looking textures, such bright and beautiful colors Lin!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Lin, gorgeous quilt card--I love this. The colors are so bright and cheerful. Your card put a smile on my face when I saw it and let me forget a moment of sadness. Thanks for some cheerfulness today. Hugs to you.

Vanessa said...

Wow, this is fabulous, Lin! Love your great quilt card, so beautiful!!

Dawn T said...

Lin this is awesome. I love the colours and yes using the embossed background does give it a real look of a quilt.

Barb said...

You don't call yourself "Quilterlin" for nothing! Wow! Just adore this card! Brilliant idea to emboss the paper pieces, Lin! Fabulous stitching and I love the shape too! :)

Alice said...

wow! this is absolutely gorgeous, LIn!! beautiful colors and that embossed look is amazing!! love love love this!!!

Patty Albertson said...

This is such a gorgeous card! I may have to try making one. It's just beautiful! Thank you for sharing the tutorial Lin!

Jill said...

Perfect sentiment, paper, stamping... it all adds up to one creative, fun card!

Suzanne C said...

Oh.. This is so very pretty! Love what you did with the papers and stitching.

Jenny said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this cant say it enough, gorgeous!! :) :) :) :)