Monday, March 3, 2014

More watercolor

I remembered this acrylic block stamping technique that I learned from Shari Carroll (look for a video there) and decided to make another card for Virginia's new challenge.  She has started a new blog devoted to her challenges and you can find it HERE.


I had my husband cut me a piece of acrylic from his vast array of supplies in our basement that is about 3" by 4", to fit easily on an A2 card, but you can use any acrylic block you have in your stash.  I inked it up with broken china and faded jeans distress inks, and then spritzed it well with water before "stamping" it onto my watercolor paper, and holding it firmly there for a bit to allow the inks to absorb into the paper.  I love how the inks spread and sometimes go outside the margins.  After carefully lifting my block, I then used a tissue to blot any big splotches of inks remaining, and then let my panel dry.  Next I inked up this Hero Arts Garden Bouquet cling stamp using Memento markers, spritzed the stamp lightly and then overstamped it onto my rectangle.  This is such a fun way to get more detail into your stamps!  My sentiment is from a retired The Craft's Meow Easter set.  The dried panel was then mounted on a card base of Simon's new Surf Blue cardstock, and I added a gingham bow centered with a button to finish.  

23 comments:

Bonnie said...

This is beautiful, Lin! I love the bright colors of the bouquet with this pretty blue watercolor background!

Virginia L. said...

Denny is a KEEPER! Love the blue acrylic blocking for the background! You chose a perfect stamp for the water-coloring, Lin! Love love this wonderful card! Thanks for playing V. V. Challenge!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Gorgeous! You did this beautifully. Love the colors!

Lisa Elton said...

Wispy and pretty Lin!!

Betty said...

i'm so glad you reminded me of Shari's technique as i had quite forgotten about it - and your use of it is just beautiful - love the colors you chose - also have that stamp and haven't used it in ages (forgot about that too - my daughter says i sometimes have a bad "remember"!) anyway - beautiful card!

Cat Craig said...

Lin, this is so pretty. That blue watercolor panel perfectly sets off your pretty flowers. And you know I am a sucker for gingham...love the bow anchor.

MarcyK924 said...

I just love when a husband indulges his wife's hobbies, scratch that, OBSESSIONS!!! And I just love that sweet ribbon with that stamped image! READY FOR SPRING!!!!

Jackie said...

Beautiful! I love the blue panel and the watercolor flowers. I keep forgetting to use my markers to color stamps, thanks for the reminder.

Barb Ghig said...

How great that your hubby cut a piece of acrylic for you...it's perfect for your beautiful card, Lin! I love the pink and purple flowers and all the texture on this card...so pretty!

Barb said...

Oh, my! absolutely gorgeous, Lin! ♥

Unknown said...

Your cards make me long for spring. Wish it would hurry itself cuz this winter is lasting way to long. Love all three cards.

Arlene said...

Delightful!!!!!!!!

Karen L K said...

Very pretty card Lin!

Aileen said...

Love watercolour, will have to give this a go. Love the look you have achieved, beautiful card.

Karen Dunbrook said...

beautiful Lin...

Robin K. said...

Thanks for the beautiful reminder of Shari's acrylic block technique Lin! You've really inspired me to get back in my craft rm and watercolor some more:)

Darnell said...

Lin, this is one of the best examples I have seen of water coloring with an acrylic block. It is perfection!! I love the gingham bow, but this card would be just as stunning without it! Pinning. Hugs, Darnell

Kara said...

Very pretty!!

Penny Nichols said...

Stunning card! Love the blues.

donna mikasa said...

I am still trying to perfect that acrylic block stamping technique! I love how yours turned out and I'm inspired to try again! I especially love how the flowers bled just a teensy bit....so pretty!

Marie said...

What a simply delightful and colorful card, Lin.

Julie B said...

What a stunningly beautiful card. Only just found Virginia's challenge page and had to stop by to leave a comment. Must get my watercolour markers out! :)

craftytreen said...

I just love this card so much. I'm going to try it soon, as soon as I have time. I have tried several times to join your blog, but alas, for some reason, I don't have the computer skills to do it. have fun cardmaking, I see your work all over. I so enjoy it. I really hope I can leave this comment. see you soon!, treen